Monday 2 December 2013

November Favourites!

Hey guys! Sorry I'm behind on the postings, I had a really bad migraine and needed to just lay in the dark with Tylenol, food and a blanket and let it pass. I can't believe its December! I guess its time to start popping out the Christmas / New Years looks! I'll be using images for this post from the Sephora website, as it's dark so I lost any hope of decent photos, but I still wanted to get this up. On to the favourites after the jump!



My first favourite is Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer. I have mine in the shade Vanilla, it's described as a pink undertone on Sephora's website but I find it more neutral than pink, so I can still wear it, and for reference I'm an NC15-NC20 skin tone. The product claims to be both long-wearing and crease resistant, both of which I find to be true. Before I set it with powder there is slight creasing, but most concealers crease insanely on me so I find it to be great for under the eyes. I have quite dark circles and it covers them for the most part, although I do plan on getting a colour corrector to wear underneath it. I probably could've gone with the shade Chantilly for an extra highlighted effect, but Vanilla is still illuminating enough. I plan to buy the Nars Radiant Cream Foundation, hopefully the formula .
Next is my beloved BeautyBlender! I use this to apply pretty much every foundation I wear, and concealer. It's just as good as everyone's raved about, although I didn't know how to use it at first and wasn't initially thrilled. In my opinion it is worth the 26$ price tag, but if you don't want to dish out that much for a sponge Real Techniques just came out with their version that I hope to try, once I can find it at my local Walmart. MAC also has a version that's around the same price as the BeautyBlender and has great reviews, and a slightly different shape. If I try either of these two sponges I'll be sure to make a post!
I've also been loving the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, as well as the no.28 Primer Serum, also from Hourglass. I bought these in a duo at my local Sephora, and they're not currently available online so check your local store. The Veil Mineral Primer feels great on the skin, its very smoothing with a silicone-like texture, but doesn't leave my skin feeling dry or powdery. I find it also boosts the coverage of my foundation and evens out my visible pores, for the most part, but doesn't really tend to any texture issues or deeper lines (such as a light scar on my forehead). Wear time is also great, but I've never had too much of a problem with my foundations wearing off on me. I've been using the no.28 Primer Serum as a night time treatment. Even though it's winter and my skin is becoming drier, my t-zone is still a bit too oily for me to use this as a primer. I went to the online reviews of the product to see how I could use it, and quite a few people recommended I use it at night. It has a lot of great ingredients in it, such as fourteen essential oils, and vitamins C and E, to name a few. It does absorb relatively quickly and leaves my skin feeling baby-soft the next morning. Check your local Sephora for the duo pack, as it was a great value, between 25-30$ I believe. If not, both primers are available in smaller sizes for purchase before committing yourself to a full sized and pricey product.
Next is my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light, which is a light, pale yellow colour. I use it for lightly setting my foundation and concealer, or I can concentrate it on my cheekbones for a very subtle highlight. Just as a heads up- this product gives MAJOR flashback, so I don't recommend it for photos. It does give this skin a beautiful glow though, without obvious glitters all over the face or too much shimmer than can make skin appear oily. This powder is also very finely milled but I recommend using a very soft brush, as it is a bit powdery. This sets my concealer really well and doesn't settle into any fine lines, and I recommend sweeping this powder over the skin versus patting it in to get the best effect. I definitely plan to get more of these!

I've also been playing with the Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Setting Spray to set my make-up. I had this once long ago, but I broke the bottle and it all leaked out without my knowledge, and its taken me a while to buy another one because I was so upset. This stuff honestly does make my make-up last SO MUCH longer, I've gone to sleep over at a friends and not taken my make-up off  (bad-I know) and it still looks pretty good the next day. I like that if my face is looking a little powdery after I set everything, as well as applying blush/bronzer it breathes some life back into my face and makes all the products I pile on my face look a bit more skin-like. I may repurchase this once I run out, unless I find something better!
On the eyes, I've been bouncing back and forth between two mascara's. The first I'll talk about is Tarte's Lights, Camera, Splashes! Mascara. This mascara lengthens and volumizes, and holds a curl SUPER well on my lashes, which are practically straight. It also says it conditions your lashes, which I totally believe because when I use it regularly my lashes do feel softer and shed less. This doesn't flake on me in the slightest, and makes my lashes look great. I'm not sure if the original Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara will hold a curl as well, but I assume it will provide the same length, volume and conditioning agents. I'll repurchase this mascara over and over, it's definitely a holy grail item.
The second mascara I've been gravitating to is MAC False Lashes Mascara. It has a very similar wand Tarte's mascara, and I find has a slightly thinner consistency, and doesn't make my lashes feel as nice. It doesn't flake and wears very well, and I don't find it smudging on me when I have a long day. It also doesn't hold a curl as well in my opinion, but looks a bit glossier than Lights, Camera, Splashes! I always love dramatic lashes, but I find this is just slightly more natural looking, which is still enough for me and I'll wear on a more everyday basis and to work. I plan to experiment more with MAC mascaras, so I don't see myself repurchasing this one.
Also for the eyes I've been using my newly acquired Lorac Pro To Go Eye/Cheek Palette. This is online only, so you won't be able to find it at your local Sephora. It has six eyeshadows, the two larger ones can be doubled as a highlight, two blushes and a bronzer, which is more of a contour shade for us lighter skin tones. The shadows can be a bit powdery, but the shades are gorgeous so I don't mind. I used this palette for my Thanksgiving Look I posted last week. I haven't done much experimenting with with the blushes, as they're a bit more spring/summer colours, and the bronzer is a tad bit powdery, and also a bit too dark for my complexion, but I imagine anyone darker than an NC25 would have no problems with it. This has been great for my day to day looks and use, and I'll continue loving it into the new year!
Finally, we're on to lips! I haven't been loving as many lippies as I usually do this month, as I've spent about half of it sick so I've been sticking to cheapie lip balms I can chuck once I feel better. First product I want to rave about is MAC's Prep + Prime Lip. I pretty much can't put a lipstick on now without putting this on first, it just feels wrong. It has a nice moisturising and conditioning factor, and helps with the wear of more drying lipsticks and helps prevent feathering, unless I'm wearing gloss, in which case everything loves feathering on me! I do think this is worth the money and definitely worth checking out, its totally changed how I wear lipsticks, especially because they typically don't last long on me as I rub my lips together a lot, and bite my lips. I'd probably buy this if it were double the price (but I'd probably feel pretty guilty!) so I'll definitely buy a new one when I run out.

In combination with Prep + Prime Lip, I use Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide On Lip Pencil in Ozone, the clear shade. This is absolutely fantastic to prevent feathering and also really locks on colour. Its not drying or hydrating, just kind of there. My only issue is that if I fill in my lips with it, it pulls all the colour into my lip lines, which isn't cute. So I just outline my lips to provide a super awesome barrier for my lip products, and it does a bang up job. I'll definitely repurchase this once I run out, its another staple for me when I wear bold lip colours, I can't do without!
On to lip colours, the first one I'll talk about was a total splurge during Sephora's VIB Sale, and now I'm addicted. Its the YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick in #7, Lingerie Pink. First, I need to talk about the smell. ITS DELICIOUS! Its a sweet, fruity smell, almost like watermelon, it makes me want to eat it. Thankfully, it doesn't really have a taste, or else I'd be licking it off my lips like crazy. This shade is a light pink, neutral leaning towards warm. Its gorgeous, and a nice alternative to a neutral for a look as it has a bit more of a pop. This lipstick literally glides on, its the smoothest and most buttery formula I've ever experienced, and are quite moisturising. Its also opaque in one swipe, but you can dab it on and blend for a lighter look. This lipstick is very pricey, 39$, but over time I plan to buy every shade I can, because the formula is that outstanding.
I'm going to lump these two lippies together, since they're the same brand and formula. The next brand I'm going to gush over is the Too Faced La Creme Lipsticks. Amazing! They're a close second to the formula of YSL, as they're very smooth and moisturising. I find that you need an extra swipe or two for full colour pay off, but that's hardly an issue as the colours and wear are fantastic. The two shade in particular I've been wearing all month are I Want Candy and Razzle Dazzle Rose (cute names!). I hope to own more of these lipsticks over time, as they're fantastic, and according to the previews of the new Too Faced collection coming out early next year, some great colours will be coming out!

L-R: I Want Candy, Razzle Dazzle Rose
Lastly, I've been wearing the crap out of MAC Private Party from their holiday Nocturnals Collection. It's a plummy-mauve colour, with great wear time (I wear it to work regularly and don't have to worry about fading for hours) and a creamy consistency. Its not drying but not particularly hydrating, however it still wears quite comfortably and leaves a light berry stain on the lips when fading. It has a creamy matte looking finish, although it is a satin finish I find it to be quite opaque. Its a great fall berry colour without being too crazy, great for everyday or someone who doesn't want to dive in to a colour like Rebel or Diva. It is limited edition and sold out online, but check your local MAC counter as they may still have it. Hell, I was in London ON recently and the MAC store there still had most of their Rihanna collection left! I regretted not bringing more money with me! Silly me, paying rent before making the trip.. When I run out I hope to be able to find a close dupe, which honestly wouldn't be too hard, but its the wearing power I'm really in love with.
That's all for this month's favourites! Hopefully I'll have some product reviews up in the next few days, leave your favourites for this month in the comments, and let me know what damage you all did on Cyber Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment