Wednesday 4 June 2014

May Favourites 2014! Hourglass, MAC, Benefit, Too Faced & More

Hey guys! Sorry I've been so behind lately, I got a new job at a store that was just opening, so the first two weeks I put in about 80 hours of work, and right after that I got sick. Summer colds are the worst! Especially when you add shingles into the mix, bleh. Despite being so busy I've still put time aside to make sure I wore makeup most days this month! Onto the faves;



Firstly I want to say how much I'm loving the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge! I prefer it over my Beauty Blender, so I won't be dropping 26$ over that baby any time soon. For my Canadian friends, I know Walmart only carries the Real Techniques brush sets right now, I actually found this baby at Winners! So keep your eyes out if you have a local winners or Marshalls, because thats where I found my next two favorites too!

Next up is my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush! I love this for foundation and concealer, I find it works very well with my Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, I find I get the best coverage when I pair these two together. This brush may seem to be on the smaller side compared to what you may typically use for the face, but I love it just the same.
Last Real Techniques product is my Blush Brush! I actually much prefer this for bronzer, as I find its a bit too big to apply blush on my face, although it can still totally work for that purpose. This applies my bronzer effortlessly and blends it quickly! I'm also going to give a little honorable mention to my Kabuki Brush, which I keep in my bag for touch ups during the day. I actually prefer the slanted shape versus the traditional round or flat top kabuki's out there. I also use the detailer brush from the Core Collection to carve out my brows! And of course these brushes are VERY soft, that goes without saying! I also have washed all my RT brushes multiple times and I experience hardly any shedding.

I've also been using my MAC 129 brush for blush this month, although I do have a shorter handled version from the holiday 2013 collection. I typically am not a fan of MAC's brushes for the holidays, as they aren't nearly as good quality as the brushes they sell year round, but this brush is very soft and blends my blush well.

MAC Cosmetics: 129 Powder/Blush Brush
In the line of primers, I've been using my Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. This is water resistant, and I find it helps control oil throughout the day. This has SPF 15 and does leave a bit of a white cast on my skin, so I don't think darker skintones would like this. It also gives a soft illumination, which I like!

Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 15
Moving on to base makeup, I've had 3 foundations in my rotation. First is the well known MAC Studio Fix Fluid. This has been my go-to if I know I'm going to be having a long day! This foundation lasts the longest on my skin and allows the least amount of oil to come peaking through my t-zone. I know some people have massive issues with MAC foundations breaking them out- but I've never had that issue, despite my skin being on the sensitive side.

MAC Cosmetics: Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 in NC15
Next up is Neutrogena Healthy Skin. I purchased this in a Walmart in the States, after previously owning this a few years ago, but in the wrong shade. I do like the look of this foundation, its more of a satin-natural appearance This doesn't last as long on me, but I do like the spf for when I'm going to be outside. Although, I do find that if I don't use the right primer, this sinks right into the pores around my nose and will look very obvious.

Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 20
Lastly I've been using my MAC Mineralize Moisture foundation. I've mainly been using this the past two weeks, as my skin always looks and feels very dehydrated when I'm sick. This has a so-so lasting power on me, but it really helped keep my skin from looking cakey from the dryness. I definitely recommend applying this one with a brush, as sponges seem to soak it right up, even used damp.

MAC Cosmetics: Mineralize Moisture Foundation in NC15
For concealer I've been using my MAC Pro-Longwear for those long days, as it looks good with the Studio Fix Fluid. This DOES crease on me, though, so do be sure to set this well if you have issues with concealer creasing like I do. This is also fairly water-resistant, as I wore it to a water park a few weeks ago, and it held up very well.
MAC Cosmetics: Pro Longwear Concealer in NC15

Also for under my eyes I like to use MAC Studio Fix concealer. I went out and bought the Studio Conceal and Correct Palette in Light a few months ago, and I've been addicted to it ever since! I use NW10 and NC15 to carve out my brows, Pale Pink under the eyes to correct my dark circles, and Pale Yellow on my cheeks to help conceal my rosecea. I'll also use this palette alone on my no-makeup kinda days, using this to conceal and correct problem areas. I highly recommend anyone go and pick up this palette in their shade range, I'll definitely buy a new one once I burn through this one. These concealers also hold up against water VERY well, as long as you don't rub at them while wet. Patting dry is key!
MAC Cosmetics: Studio Conceal and Correct Palette/Light

Now to set all of these products, I typically just use my MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural. Super easy, not totally matte, and I find it looks good for touch ups too. This is pretty much the only face powder I use to set foundation.
MAC Cosmetics: Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Light Plus
To set my under eyes I dab back and forth between my MSFN and Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light. This helps to highlight my under eye area and I also use it down my nose, chin and forehead to even everything out. Do be careful though, I find this powder can look and feel quite dry under the eyes if you're using a drier concealer or you haven't moisturized well enough prior to application.
Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder
I haven't been doing much with the eyes this month, as I've been quite busy and getting a flawless base is what is really priority to me because of my rosecea. Although, I do put quite a focus on the brows, especially when my eyes are bare. I've been playing with quite a few brow products this month, some with an upcoming review so I won't give them too much of a mention here.

Firstly is my MAC brow pencil in Fling. This is what I use for a quick and natural brow, as its so easy and has a nice waxy texture. I do find for a shade that is described as an "ash blonde" is does learn a bit yellow/ warm, so do be aware of that. I personally don't mind, as I have a hard time finding shades for my brows that don't wind up looking much warmer applied than the product looks beforehand.
MAC Cosmetics: Eye Brows in Fling
Next is Benefits Gimme Brow in the shade Light/ Medium. I use this daily no matter what, as it sets my brows in place and adds a nice tint. I heard somewhere that this is waterproof- NOPE, absolutely not. Also, I hear people talk of these "fibres" that adhere to the brow hairs and make them fuller? What? I do not see any little fibres when I apply this, the brow hairs simply look more defined because this is a thicker, gel-like formula. In my opinion, at least.

Benefit Cosmetics - Gimme Brow
The other products I'm dabbling with are the Whitening Lightning Brow Bar To Go and MAC Fluildine Brow Gelcreme. Both will get their own reviews, but I will say those looking for a cooler or more ashy toned product to fill in their brows- look elsewhere.

When I have worn eyeshadow this month I was dabbling with the It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty palette. This will have its own review, but I can't say I'm horribly impressed with the formula of the shadows. Some are great, some, not so much.

Mascara-wise I've been sticking to what I know. Maybelline Mega Plush Mascara is holy grail status to me- I always need to have a tube of this on hand. I can use a little and get natural, fluttery lashes, or apply a bit more for drama. Absolutely fantastic mascara! I use the waterproof version, as I do with most mascara's, as my lashes are naturally quite straight.

I've also been using a mascara I never really hear anyone talk about, which is the Covergirl Exact Eyelights Mascara. I use the shade for green eyes, so it has a slightly purple tinge to it. I LOVE THIS MASCARA! I've used it since it came out! This is the perfect natural looking mascara for when you're in a rush, its impossible to mess up. I don't think this has a waterproof version, I just use the regular one, and it holds a curl just fine. Go buy this. Now.

For Bronzer I've stuck to my Milk Chocolate Soleil from Too Faced. This is distinctly yellow based, which I don't mind. I'm actually close to hitting pan on this! It is a tad bit powdery, though, so tap off your brush before sweeping this on to avoid the powder falling down your cheeks and making you look muddy.

Too Faced - Milk Chocolate Soleil Light/Medium Matte Bronzer
For blush I haven't really adventured, I found myself reaching for my ELF blush in Mellow Mauve quite a bit this month, its the blush I go to when I'm aiming for a natural look and I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing! This isn't heavily pigmented, but its just enough to work with and blend well.

Next is Frat Boy by The Balm. This blush just looks good with everything! This blush is also effortless, however more pigmented. On my skin it looks a tad darker than it does in the pan. This blush is matte but doesn't look chalky or unnatural. If you had to pick just one blush from The Balm to pick up, choose this.

Frat Boy®
For highlight I go back and forth between MAC Perfect Topping (the old formulation, not the newer one that looks entirely different. Blegh!) and Mary-Loumanizer from The Balm. Perfect Topping is also HG status for me, I like it for a more natural look and it pairs well with most blushes. Mary-Loumanizer I'm still playing with, as in some light it looks too gold in my NC15 skin, but the highlight it provides is unreal! I don't have an image for Perfect Topping since I don't want to steal anyones photo, and mine is shattered so I can't get a good photo.


Mary-Lou Manizer®
Lastly is lips. I've found myself pulling for MAC Kinda Sexy and Creme Cup at lot this month, as well as Too Faced Razzle Dazzle Rose. I stayed away from lipgloss simply because I've been sick, and I actually had to throw one out because I used it just before my shingles broke out, and I am taking NO chances. All three of these shades are very easy to wear! I was so excited when Kinda Sexy hit counters I went and got it THAT day. Creme cup is an old favorite, definitely a staple in my collection. Razzle Dazzle Rose is also a fantastic lipstick, I truly recommend checking out Too Faced lipsticks if you haven't already. They glide on perfectly and have a nice slip, and are lightly hydrating with great pigmentation. They smell awesome too! Like some kind of lemon-vanilla candy.
MAC Cosmetics: Lipstick in Kinda Sexy MAC Cosmetics: Lipstick in Crème CupToo Faced - La Crème

Thats all for this month! I feel like this post is massively long, but don't feel obligated to read the whole thing! Tell me some of your months favorites in the comments! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment